POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "Truly free" : Re: "Truly free" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Truly free"
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Mar 2013 13:09:23
Message: <514c9043$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:45:59 +0000, scott wrote:

>> OK, I need the opinion of a few folks disconnected from a debate I'm
>> having.
>>
>> Let's say you have a software product, and updates/support/enhancements
>> are provided only if you pay an annual "maintenance" fee.
>
> Sounds like most of our CAD software here...
>
>> A new component is developed for the software, and is made available to
>> those on a current maintenance plan.  Other customers can purchase it
>> at a per-seat license.
>>
>> Is that new component "free" (as in "no cost") to those who are on
>> maintenance, or not?
>
> Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
> free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
> active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
> would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
> mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).

Follow-up question:

What about the phrasing "free for existing customers" when an "existing
customer" is defined as "someone who pays their annual maintenance fees".

Do you see it as a fair/honest statement if you just say "free for
existing customers" without defining what an existing customer is in the
context of that discussion?

Jim