POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "Truly free" : Re: "Truly free" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Truly free"
From: scott
Date: 22 Mar 2013 11:46:00
Message: <514c7cb8$1@news.povray.org>
> OK, I need the opinion of a few folks disconnected from a debate I'm
> having.
>
> Let's say you have a software product, and updates/support/enhancements
> are provided only if you pay an annual "maintenance" fee.

Sounds like most of our CAD software here...

> A new component is developed for the software, and is made available to
> those on a current maintenance plan.  Other customers can purchase it at
> a per-seat license.
>
> Is that new component "free" (as in "no cost") to those who are on
> maintenance, or not?

Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).