POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "Truly free" : Re: "Truly free" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Truly free"
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Mar 2013 14:03:38
Message: <514c9cfa$1@news.povray.org>
Le 22/03/2013 18:09, Jim Henderson nous fit lire :
> Follow-up question:
>
> What about the phrasing "free for existing customers" when an "existing
> customer" is defined as "someone who pays their annual maintenance fees".
>
> Do you see it as a fair/honest statement if you just say "free for
> existing customers" without defining what an existing customer is in the
> context of that discussion?

I find it a bit dangerous.

Let's assume in 1995 I was not yet a customer.
On 1996, I became a customer with a 1 year maintenance, and did not

Did I cease to exist: no.

So, Dear Mr & Mrs Judges of the High Court, I'm a customer, I'm
existing, therefore their modules should have been free for me.

The usual sentence is something along: "free for customers with active
maintenance subscription at the date of release."

Notice the "at the date of release", it means one cannot just subscript
6 months later to the minimal set and hope to get the module for free.