POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "Truly free" : Re: "Truly free" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Truly free"
From: scott
Date: 25 Mar 2013 04:07:07
Message: <515005ab$1@news.povray.org>
>> Given that advertisers are allowed to use phrases like "buy 1 get 1
>> free" or "a free drink with any meal" then I'd say it's "free with an
>> active maintenance contract". Saying it's free without any restrictions
>> would be misleading (a restaurant can't advertise free drinks without
>> mentioning the fact you need to buy a meal first).
>
> Follow-up question:
>
> What about the phrasing "free for existing customers" when an "existing
> customer" is defined as "someone who pays their annual maintenance fees".

That sounds fine to me.

> Do you see it as a fair/honest statement if you just say "free for
> existing customers" without defining what an existing customer is in the
> context of that discussion?

A bit tricky and ambiguous, I'd prefer "free for current customers". IME
some licenses require you to pay the maintenance fee only to be eligible
for updates (you can carry on legally using the software without
paying), in that case you could argue you are an existing customer even
though you are not paying maintenance.

If the license requires you to pay the fee to even use the software (ie
you have to stop using it when you cease paying maintenance) then I
think your wording is fine.