POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  More Net Questions (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Tom Austin
Subject: More Net Questions
Date: 21 Dec 2011 09:25:29
Message: <4ef1ec59$1@news.povray.org>
OK, So I am still on the hunt for the network delays I am seeing - so
some questions about network throughput.

My Hardware

Windows Domain Server - (1) 1 GB ethernet

File Server - (2) 1GB ethernet (bonded to share load into the same switch)

Patch panel and patch cords are CAT5e

In Wall wiring is combination of CAT5 and CAT5e

Switch is DELL PowerConnect 2724 running in a non-managed mode

about 10 users on the network

What slowdowns might this kind of setup cause?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

Le 21/12/2011 15:25, Tom Austin a écrit :
> OK, So I am still on the hunt for the network delays I am seeing - so
> some questions about network throughput.
>
> My Hardware
>
> Windows Domain Server - (1) 1 GB ethernet
>
> File Server - (2) 1GB ethernet (bonded to share load into the same switch)
>
> Patch panel and patch cords are CAT5e
>
> In Wall wiring is combination of CAT5 and CAT5e
>
> Switch is DELL PowerConnect 2724 running in a non-managed mode
>
> about 10 users on the network
>

> What slowdowns might this kind of setup cause?

How are the lights blinking on the Dell 2724 ?
(if it's a storm or a huge requesting of network resource, some should
blink very fast).

Now, there is other thing that storm in the network to cause a slowdown:
trying to reach/find inaccessible resource and awaiting time-out before
resorting to another solution. In such case the network is rather calm.
(and the light blinks slowly)

In theory Cat5 cable are not suitable for 1G. (cat5e is ok, but not
strict 5)

Have you tested "unloaded network" ? (Keep the WDS & fileserver, as well
as the switch, 1 user only (all other users are disconnected from the
switch). Does it work better ? or same ? or worse ?

Adding 1 user at a time ?
Putting back the Internet connection ?

Post a reply to this message

On 12/21/2011 10:23 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 21/12/2011 15:25, Tom Austin a écrit :
>> OK, So I am still on the hunt for the network delays I am seeing - so
>> some questions about network throughput.
>>
>> My Hardware
>>
>> Windows Domain Server - (1) 1 GB ethernet
>>
>> File Server - (2) 1GB ethernet (bonded to share load into the same switch)
>>
>> Patch panel and patch cords are CAT5e
>>
>> In Wall wiring is combination of CAT5 and CAT5e
>>
>> Switch is DELL PowerConnect 2724 running in a non-managed mode
>>
>> about 10 users on the network
>>

>> What slowdowns might this kind of setup cause?
>>

> How are the lights blinking on the Dell 2724 ?
> (if it's a storm or a huge requesting of network resource, some should
> blink very fast).

Just making sure - a storm is bad

I'll keep an eye on the switch lights and try to have a look when
someone reports a problem.

Good idea.

> Now, there is other thing that storm in the network to cause a slowdown:
> trying to reach/find inaccessible resource and awaiting time-out before
> resorting to another solution. In such case the network is rather calm.
> (and the light blinks slowly)

So, I should label each 'computer' on the switch and look at everything
when there is a problem and pay attention to the 'problem' computer as well.

> In theory Cat5 cable are not suitable for 1G. (cat5e is ok, but not
> strict 5)

right - that's what I thought.  The CAT5 is baked into the building so
it will be hard to replace.

But we can run a test with long patch cables to see if that helps.

> Have you tested "unloaded network" ? (Keep the WDS&  fileserver, as well
> as the switch, 1 user only (all other users are disconnected from the
> switch). Does it work better ? or same ? or worse ?

We are going to try this next week when the office is pretty empty.

> Adding 1 user at a time ?
> Putting back the Internet connection ?

The main problem is not a small delay in getting a file - 10-15 seconds
can happen from time to time.  But 5+ minutes is pretty bad.

Thanks for the tips.

Merry Christmas!

Post a reply to this message