POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions : Re: More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Net Questions
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Dec 2011 12:00:42
Message: <4ef210ba$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/21/2011 8:45, Tom Austin wrote:
> The main problem is not a small delay in getting a file - 10-15 seconds can
> happen from time to time. But 5+ minutes is pretty bad.

On a gigabit network, that sounds like a long time to load a 5M file.

Do you do a lot of updates on the Linux server, like creating and deleting
thousands of files at a time? It's possible that the Linux server is just
locking up flushing its buffers if it has a lot of RAM. Sadly, I don't know
any sort of monitor that would actually tell you what's going on inside the
kernel of a Linux machine. (Anyone know what the equivalent of Performance
Monitor on Linux is?)  If your file server has RAID, maybe there's a bad
spot on one of the disks and it retries a while before falling over to the
other disk? Maybe check through syslog records to see?

Check the domain server's event logs around the time of a problem, and see
if it's an authorization problem or something, where maybe you're waiting
for a new kerberos key to access the remote file and the domain server is
slow giving it out for some reason?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)