POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions : Re: More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Net Questions
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 22 Dec 2011 10:13:29
Message: <4ef34919$1@news.povray.org>

> OK, So I am still on the hunt for the network delays I am seeing - so
> some questions about network throughput.
>
> My Hardware
>
> Windows Domain Server - (1) 1 GB ethernet

Make sure the server NICs are hard-coded for 1 Gbps Full-duplex.
Gigabitethernet left in auto-detect mode can lead to funky things...

Make sure the switch ports facing the servers also have their speed and
duplex hardcoded, if possible.

> File Server - (2) 1GB ethernet (bonded to share load into the same switch)

How?  Depending on the way it's set up, it can cause major problems with
the switch.  Disconnect one of the patch cords and see if performance
improves.  If it does, you had a loop between the two switch ports, and
the two NICs in your server.  Either reconfigure your NICs to use
fail-over, or make sure "spanning-tree" is enabled on the switch ports
facing the server.  Keep in mind that by doing that you will lose your
2Gbps aggregation speed and the second NIC will only be there to provide
a host-stanby.

> Patch panel and patch cords are CAT5e

Length?  CAT5e specification says that desks-side patch cords must not
be longer than 3m (10ft), and that switch-side patch cords can not be
longer than 7m (25ft), while the total length of the premises cabling
(in the wall) must not exceed 90m (300ft).  See below to know how to do
this.

> In Wall wiring is combination of CAT5 and CAT5e

Do you have lots of internediary patch panel connections (e.g.: desk to
wiring closet.  Wiring closet to server room main wall.  Server room
wall to rack patch panel)

> Switch is DELL PowerConnect 2724 running in a non-managed mode

According to TFM (which you should R), there are cable-testing functions
in the switch.  Check to see if you have faulty cabling, exceed the
length of the standards, or if the premises cabling can really sustain
1Gbps.  If not, downgrade the user ports to 100 Mbps.

> about 10 users on the network

Check, if possible, for rogue user activity (Is anyone running a
streaming app?  Is anyone acting as a Counterstrike server?  Does anyone
have NetBEUI turned on by mistake? etc...)

> What slowdowns might this kind of setup cause?

Apart from the risk of having a spanning-tree loop between the switch
and the dual-homed server, there's nothing inherently bad about this
setup. By default it should run fine.