POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions : Re: More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Net Questions
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Dec 2011 12:38:16
Message: <4ef21988$1@news.povray.org>
Le 21/12/2011 18:00, Darren New nous fit lire :
> On 12/21/2011 8:45, Tom Austin wrote:
>> The main problem is not a small delay in getting a file - 10-15
>> seconds can
>> happen from time to time. But 5+ minutes is pretty bad.
>
> On a gigabit network, that sounds like a long time to load a 5M file.

On gigabit network, a 5M file which should transfer in about 4000
frames, should take less than 10s even at 1% of network usage, including
an acknowledge of each frame.
(1% of network: which means that even on a 10mbits, 10s is already large)

> Do you do a lot of updates on the Linux server, like creating and
> deleting thousands of files at a time? It's possible that the Linux
> server is just locking up flushing its buffers if it has a lot of RAM.
> Sadly, I don't know any sort of monitor that would actually tell you
> what's going on inside the kernel of a Linux machine. (Anyone know what
> the equivalent of Performance Monitor on Linux is?)

there is:
 * text mode: top
 * gnome : gnome-system-monitor
 * kde : ksysguard