POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Net Questions : Re: More Net Questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Net Questions
From: Tom Austin
Date: 21 Dec 2011 11:45:01
Message: <4ef20d0d@news.povray.org>
On 12/21/2011 10:23 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 21/12/2011 15:25, Tom Austin a écrit :
>> OK, So I am still on the hunt for the network delays I am seeing - so
>> some questions about network throughput.
>>
>> My Hardware
>>
>> Windows Domain Server - (1) 1 GB ethernet
>>
>> File Server - (2) 1GB ethernet (bonded to share load into the same switch)
>>
>> Patch panel and patch cords are CAT5e
>>
>> In Wall wiring is combination of CAT5 and CAT5e
>>
>> Switch is DELL PowerConnect 2724 running in a non-managed mode
>>
>> about 10 users on the network
>>

>> What slowdowns might this kind of setup cause?
>>

> How are the lights blinking on the Dell 2724 ?
> (if it's a storm or a huge requesting of network resource, some should
> blink very fast).

Just making sure - a storm is bad

I'll keep an eye on the switch lights and try to have a look when
someone reports a problem.

Good idea.

> Now, there is other thing that storm in the network to cause a slowdown:
> trying to reach/find inaccessible resource and awaiting time-out before
> resorting to another solution. In such case the network is rather calm.
> (and the light blinks slowly)

So, I should label each 'computer' on the switch and look at everything
when there is a problem and pay attention to the 'problem' computer as well.

> In theory Cat5 cable are not suitable for 1G. (cat5e is ok, but not
> strict 5)

right - that's what I thought.  The CAT5 is baked into the building so
it will be hard to replace.

But we can run a test with long patch cables to see if that helps.

> Have you tested "unloaded network" ? (Keep the WDS&  fileserver, as well
> as the switch, 1 user only (all other users are disconnected from the
> switch). Does it work better ? or same ? or worse ?

We are going to try this next week when the office is pretty empty.

> Adding 1 user at a time ?
> Putting back the Internet connection ?

The main problem is not a small delay in getting a file - 10-15 seconds
can happen from time to time.  But 5+ minutes is pretty bad.

Thanks for the tips.

Merry Christmas!