POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Pov-ray New user Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:11:46 EDT (-0400)
  Pov-ray New user (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Harold Masselink
Subject: Pov-ray New user
Date: 28 Oct 1998 05:07:30
Message: <3636ECC9.8B7A4A88@corpsoft.com>
Hi everyone...

I just started to download pov-ray3 for Windows...
I have never seen it before.
Is there something i should know before i use it ?

Thanx,
Harold Masselink
Har### [at] corpsoftcom

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: Pov-ray New user
Date: 28 Oct 1998 06:19:38
Message: <3636FE28.2BB95C28@peak.edu.ee>
Well, I rather suppose you knew _something_ before you started downloading it ;)
Since there is no quessing the extent of your former knowledge, I really don't
know where to start answering.
Do you know what raytracing is? Have you previously done any programming? etc.
etc.
POV also comes with a full manual and many example scenes. Have a look at those,
they really help.
Other than that, there is nothing U actually need to know before starting to use
it - it doesn't mess up your machine if it sees your'e a beginner (most programs
don't)

Margus

Harold Masselink wrote:

> Hi everyone...
>
> I just started to download pov-ray3 for Windows...
> I have never seen it before.
> Is there something i should know before i use it ?
>
> Thanx,
> Harold Masselink
> Har### [at] corpsoftcom

Post a reply to this message

I have used alot of 3D modelling/render programs. Truespace, 3d studio (max)
Lightwave, rhino....etc.. So, i know what raytracing is/does...
I have some program experience. Turbo Pascal, Turbo C++, javascript, ASM.
What i don't understand with pov-ray is that you can't see what you're doing...
(Or is that an hidden function..) I don't mean rendering, but some kind of a
wireframe.

Thanx for the info,
Harold

Margus Ramst wrote:

> Well, I rather suppose you knew _something_ before you started downloading it ;)
> Since there is no quessing the extent of your former knowledge, I really don't
> know where to start answering.
> Do you know what raytracing is? Have you previously done any programming? etc.
> etc.
> POV also comes with a full manual and many example scenes. Have a look at those,
> they really help.
> Other than that, there is nothing U actually need to know before starting to use
> it - it doesn't mess up your machine if it sees your'e a beginner (most programs
> don't)
>
> Margus
>
> Harold Masselink wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone...
> >
> > I just started to download pov-ray3 for Windows...
> > I have never seen it before.
> > Is there something i should know before i use it ?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Harold Masselink
> > Har### [at] corpsoftcom

Post a reply to this message

Well, that's how it is. There's no interactive viewport. You program the
scene and then you render it at low quality and see what it looks like.
You can get a modeller for POV where you can have interactive wireframe
previewing, like Moray and others. There are links to Moray on
www.povray.org and I think it's shareware, so you have to pay after you
evaluate...
Hope it helps you,
Luiz Barreto.

Harold Masselink wrote in message <36373381.C2D7A1DA@corpsoft.com>...
>Ok,
>
>I have used alot of 3D modelling/render programs. Truespace, 3d studio
(max)
>Lightwave, rhino....etc.. So, i know what raytracing is/does...
>I have some program experience. Turbo Pascal, Turbo C++, javascript, ASM.
>What i don't understand with pov-ray is that you can't see what you're
doing...
>(Or is that an hidden function..) I don't mean rendering, but some kind of
>wireframe.
>
>Thanx for the info,
>Harold

Post a reply to this message