POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Full area lighting in next beta Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Full area lighting in next beta (Message 11 to 20 of 42)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Full area lighting in next beta
Date: 5 Nov 2007 16:04:48
Message: <472f8570@news.povray.org>
> Well... how hard would it be to make is so that if you use a normal
> object with a nonzero "ambient" setting to make a "light source" in
> radiosity mode, you get specular hilights?

  Add a reflection and a proper reflection exponent to the object.
To blur the reflection, use the blurred reflection trick.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Nov 2007 16:45:23
Message: <472f8ef3$1@news.povray.org>

472f7e8a@news.povray.org...
>> Now if you could also add feature XYZ as well... ;-)
>
>  If it's not something which will require me to work for a week
> 10 hours a day, or something which will require a rewrite of the
> parser, I'mlistening.

A very useful feature that goes hand in hand with full area lights is color
mapping aka tone mapping aka exposure control. There's already some code for
it in Megapov. Basically one needs 3 modes : linear, exponential and HSV
(plus gamma correction and some others).
http://www.vray.us/vray_documentation/vray_color_mapping_examples.shtml
This is for Vray but it's standard in other renderers. The examples above
are not very impressive, but HSV color mapping, particularly, is a must have
for interior scenes.

G.

Post a reply to this message

> A very useful feature that goes hand in hand with full area lights is color
> mapping aka tone mapping aka exposure control.

  I didn't quite get the idea from those images. Some text explaining in
simple terms the idea and the algorithm could be useful.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message