POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Full area lighting in next beta : Re: Full area lighting in next beta Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Full area lighting in next beta
From: Warp
Date: 5 Nov 2007 22:19:06
Message: <472fdd29@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> 1) System variables to return the resolution of an input image.  This appears to
> be already available in the source code, just not passed on to the SDL.

  This should definitely be doable, but I'll have to ask the team about
their opinion. (Cons: Minor feature, increases reserved keyword clutter...)

> 2) Separate ior for fresnel reflection (in finish block) to allow for better
> texture mapping.

  It indeed seems a bit strange that given that reflection is a property of
the texture and not the interior, it would use a value from the interior.
(I don't know the details of the theory behind fresnel reflection, but
I could easily imagine a surface having a different ior on a thin reflecting
layer on its surface than in its main body, thus causing a different type of
reflection than an uniform object would have...)

  Someone who knows the theory behind fresnel reclection could express his
opinion on this.

--
                                                          - Warp