POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Full area lighting in next beta : Re: Full area lighting in next beta Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Full area lighting in next beta
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 5 Nov 2007 21:40:00
Message: <web.472fd2d61489f6c82ae8612c0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Gilles Tran <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > A very useful feature that goes hand in hand with full area lights is color
> > mapping aka tone mapping aka exposure control.
>
>   I didn't quite get the idea from those images. Some text explaining in
> simple terms the idea and the algorithm could be useful.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

It looks like tone-mapping, such as what is used with HDR images quite often.
Taking a high range image and remapping it to low range, preserving contrast
and relative colouration without the clamping of the +1 colour intensities.
Seeing as HDR is implemented, it can currently be done using external programs
if HDR output is used.  However, having an internal algorithm would remove the
need for an additional program.  However, the advantage of external programs is
that you have much more control on how you want the mapping to be implemented.
I don't know the particular algorithms involved, but I suspect the ones he is
referring to are quite simple, affecting the whole image uniformly (probably
much the same as gamma correction is implemented to the output image), rather
than being locally dependent.

-tgq