POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:48 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles (Message 38 to 47 of 47)
From: Michael Andrews
Subject: Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles
Date: 29 Nov 2002 13:20:04
Message: <3de7afd4@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Mark Weyer wrote:
>
>>I do not see why the quality is better than using repulsion
>>inside the unit circle with a uniform force field before projecting.
>

> To me it seems fairly obvious that projecting a disc on a hemisphere does
> not maintain the distance relations and therefore reduces the uniformity
> of a distribution.

The point is that you do not want a uniform distribution on the
hemisphere ...

> To be precise, the points at the rim of the hemisphere will be quite dense
> in direction of the circumference but will be moved apart in theta
> direction.

Ahh! If you used a unit circle to do the repulsion thing then you are
quite right - you do not get an even distribution at the edge: all the
outermost points would be pressed against the rim.

This is why I used a 2 radius circle when I was doing the Delaunay
triangulation, and adding samples until I had enough in the unit circle.
That way you get an even distribution right across the unit circle -
right to the rim of the hemisphere.

You could do the same with a repulsion algorithm - fill a circle of
greater than 1 radius and keep adding a sample and repelling to
completion untill you have the right number of samples within the 1 unit
circle.

> Christoph

Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message

> Ahh! If you used a unit circle to do the repulsion thing then you are
> quite right - you do not get an even distribution at the edge: all the
> outermost points would be pressed against the rim.
>
> This is why I used a 2 radius circle when I was doing the Delaunay
> triangulation, and adding samples until I had enough in the unit circle.
> That way you get an even distribution right across the unit circle -
> right to the rim of the hemisphere.

The radius of the circle does not matter, once you project it on a
hemisphere you get an anisotropic distribution (meaning the density of the
points depends on the direction like explained in my last post).  But feel
free to try it out, i'm sure if you check the quality of the results you
will see it.

Christoph

Last updated 15 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> The radius of the circle does not matter, once you project it on a
> hemisphere you get an anisotropic distribution (meaning the density of the
> points depends on the direction like explained in my last post).  But feel
> free to try it out, i'm sure if you check the quality of the results you
> will see it.

This anisotropy is inevitable - the density of the samples is decreasing
  with theta but constant in phi. If you plot the radiosity sample
positions you can see this quite clearly with the official samples.

> Christoph

Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message