POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles : Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 3 Dec 2002 07:49:26
Message: <3deca856$1@news.povray.org>
Michael Andrews wrote:
> I suppose it could be, and I've thought about doing this. However you
> would have to calculate an array for each level of radiosity recursion
> because the code reduces the number of samples taken at each subsequent
> recursion level. And the results wouldn't be very different anyway.

I've had another think about this, and I don't think it would work in
some cases.

The code uses the apparent (texture modified) surface normal and checks
whether a particular sample can be used or is going behind the actual
surface. If the sample can not be used then it takes a fresh sample.

So you can not know a priori how many samples you need at a particular
recursion level because it may alter at each sampling point.

This is why you not only need an even sample distribution but also to
have the distribution as even as possible over the first N samples of
the distribution where N can be any number up to the maximum possible
number of samples.

And this is why I was looking at an iterative Delaunay triangulation -
to get a 'good enough' even distribution for the first N samples of the
distribution.

For something like a repulsion algorithm which sets the position of all
the sample points at once you would then need to choose the sampling
order carefully to get a good distribution for any number of points.

Enough babbling ...

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.