POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Indoor radiosity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Indoor radiosity (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: jute
Subject: Indoor radiosity
Date: 27 Sep 2004 15:15:00
Message: <web.415865be6aa6ed1cf834c8120@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I'm developing an indoor radiosity scene, and after going through a couple
of tutorials, the documentation and fiddling with the parameters, I've
decided I have a problem.

The lighting levels in the room are heavily affected by camera position, and
also to a lesser degree by bizarre things like +w/+h.

The light is coming from an ambient sky sphere and a light_source sun.  They
are quite far away (10e6 units, oh and one pov unit = 1 m in my scene).
There are double glasses in the windows (two, a big one facing south, a
smaller facing east).  Sun is in the southen sky.  There are various items
in the room.

Now, I can get good pictures from the model, but it's always after some
tuning with brightness and/or exposure.  Basically I can have a good set of
parameters for one camera, but if I move it even a little bit (10cm in my
model is enough) the room can go very dark or very bright.

What am I doing wrong?  I thought that the one thing that doesn't affect
radiosity is camera position.

I'm using a rather high recursion_limit of 9, because I figure I 'loose'
four bounces for the windows only.  Max_sample is -1, count 15-30,
error_bound 1.0, low_error_level ~0.8 (it's fast, and the results are good
after correcting for brightness), minimum_reuse <= 0.009, nearest_count 10.

The same problem exists with v3.5, v3.6.1 and MegaPov 1.1.  I'm using
exposure because it's great, but with respect to my problem it didn't
introduce anything but a second parameter for controlling the light
dynamics (the first one was brightness).  This is the first scene where I'm
really relying on radiosity for illumination, so I tend to think that I'm
just missing something somewhere. Any help much appreciated!

Post a reply to this message

> What am I doing wrong?  I thought that the one thing that doesn't affect
> radiosity is camera position.

Without showing the scene you will not very likely get a useful reply.

> I'm using a rather high recursion_limit of 9,

Such a high recursion limit is most likely a waste of time.

> because I figure I 'loose'
> four bounces for the windows only.

What is that supposed to mean?

Christoph