POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Indoor radiosity : Re: Indoor radiosity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor radiosity
From: A Brinkmann
Date: 28 Sep 2004 05:01:13
Message: <41592859@news.povray.org>
Hi,

> four bounces for the windows only.  Max_sample is -1, count 15-30,
> error_bound 1.0, low_error_level ~0.8 (it's fast, and the results are good
> after correcting for brightness), minimum_reuse <= 0.009, nearest_count 10.

I think, with such a low count you won't get any kind of reliable results, the number
of samples is just too low. And I do think (without being an expert on that matter)
that changing the location of your camera (and even the image resolution, as you
described) will lead to a different set of samples, and possibly a different result.
You could try increasing the number of pretrace passes, maybe that will help a bit.

Are you just using radiosity to brighten up the room? For that, some well placed low
intensity shadowless light sources would probably do the job better and a lot faster.
In my experience, to get good looking shadows with radiosity, especially on small
objects, you need a very high sample count and low error bound. I've experimented with
that quite a bit myself, and when I get to the point that it's starting to look good
and fairly realistic, it usually becomes so slow that I lose interest ;)

Artur.