POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Indoor radiosity : Re: Indoor radiosity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor radiosity
From: Alain
Date: 27 Sep 2004 22:57:28
Message: <4158d318@news.povray.org>
jute nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-09-27 17:17... :

>Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>

>>>Without showing the scene you will not very likely get a useful reply.
>>>

>I know ... I could share the source in private, put as it is likely to be my
>competition entry, I'm unwilling to share it in public before the deadline.
>

>>>I'm using a rather high recursion_limit of 9,
>>>

>>Such a high recursion limit is most likely a waste of time.
>>

>That's what I'd learned from the grapevine, but it works in my scene.
>In fact, before I pumped it up the back of my room was having a night when
>close to windows it was a bright sunshine.  Anyway it doesn't slow the
>rendering very much, hardly noticeably; I'd guess that to be due to
>adc_bailout, but then I couldn't explain why it brightens up the room!
>
>I really, really, /really/ am going to sit down with radiosit.cpp once
>I can get my mind off modelling this scene! :)
>

>>>because I figure I 'loose' four bounces for the windows only.
>>>

>>What is that supposed to mean?
>>

>Rays pass through four surfaces (two per window) of differing IOR on their
>way out; that's four levels for ray tracing, and I'm assuming it's also
>four radiosity recursions.  This is not so?
>

>--
>jussi.kantola

What it does, is add to the max_trace_level count, whitch also have an
effect when using radiosity. Maybe it's set to low, 2 steps for the
first pane, 2 for the second, 1 for any background/radiosity
light-object already make 5 = to the default value. Any surface in your
room then push it to 6 and more. I'd try a max_trace_level of 14 or a
little more, then look in the post render statistics and increase it
some more if that value have been reached. Also, look if it change when
you move the camera.

Alain