POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Indoor radiosity : Re: Indoor radiosity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor radiosity
From: jute
Date: 29 Sep 2004 15:40:00
Message: <web.415b0ee68cfd44a0378d0fe0@news.povray.org>
"Thies Heidecke" <h3i### [at] gmxnet> wrote:

> i think the problem is, that radiosity sometimes misses
> your sun when taking radiosity-samples and sometimes it
> hits your sun.

Yes, I expected this before starting the whole thread.  And I guess my
fresnel windows are making the situation worse, as many of the samples will
hit the glass in such an angle that they get reflected back in to the room
even when I'm not looking at the windows.  Which of course is as it should
be, but I *have* been thinking of a pass_through for radiosity :)

> A good rule of thumb is:
>   count >= 3*(r/R)^2

Thanks!

> Perhaps it's better to use a pointlight to make the
> sunlight and just use a small ambient-value like 1
> to let your sun appear reasonable bright.

My sun is just a point source, no looks_like, instead I've got a cylindrical
pigment intersecting the sky sphere in sun's direction.  I really can't
justify this design, probably it was just a way of doing something unusual
on the day I created it.  And it doesn't look *hopelessly* ugly! :)

--
jussi.kantola