POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : milky glass problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:14 EDT (-0400)
  milky glass problem (Message 1 to 10 of 42)
Subject: milky glass problem
Date: 19 Feb 2002 14:34:15
Message: <3c72a8b7$1@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

maybe I'm not an advanced user but I need help from one. So I hope this post
isn't OT.
It's about the milky glass problem. It is not an easy task for ANY raytracer
but since I'm working on POV, POV tips are preferred :-)

I need some texture which simulates shining-through-but-not-transparent
objects. The first thing which comes into my mind is a hollow object filled
with scattering media or similar things. Unfortunately I want to apply this
texture onto a mesh which is therefore infinitively thin (at least the
triangles). Does any one know a fancy trick to emulate milky glass by using
a texture?
The object should also be bright in case the light source is BEHIND the
object (like milky glass does). Any way to do this? Please note that it is
about difficult lighting situations with varying arrangement of the objects.
So any hand-trimmed ambient stuff will fail.
It really needs to be a result of a rendering process.

Any hints?
I really got stuck with this.

Thanks in advance,
regards,
SY

Post a reply to this message

> I need some texture which simulates shining-through-but-not-transparent
> objects. The first thing which comes into my mind is a hollow object filled
> with scattering media or similar things. Unfortunately I want to apply this
> texture onto a mesh which is therefore infinitively thin (at least the
> triangles). Does any one know a fancy trick to emulate milky glass by using
> a texture?
> The object should also be bright in case the light source is BEHIND the
> object (like milky glass does). Any way to do this? Please note that it is
> about difficult lighting situations with varying arrangement of the objects.
> So any hand-trimmed ambient stuff will fail.

Scattering media is the right thing to use here, it should work fine as
long as your mesh is "well behaved", meaning it doesn't have any
internal surfaces or openings.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> maybe I'm not an advanced user but I need help from one. So I hope this post
> isn't OT.
> It's about the milky glass problem. It is not an easy task for ANY raytracer
> but since I'm working on POV, POV tips are preferred :-)
>
> I need some texture which simulates shining-through-but-not-transparent
> objects. The first thing which comes into my mind is a hollow object filled
> with scattering media or similar things. Unfortunately I want to apply this
> texture onto a mesh which is therefore infinitively thin (at least the
> triangles). Does any one know a fancy trick to emulate milky glass by using
> a texture?

Scattering media should be fine for that, no problem with meshes as long
as they are closed of course.  If you need it on a singular mesh surface
you will have to 'double' it to get a closed volume.

See:

http://news.povray.org/3B97ABD4.5E70568D@engineer.com

(no milky glass but a glass of milk, that should not be a problem though)

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

Date: 19 Feb 2002 17:00:48
Message: <3c72cb10@news.povray.org>
> Scattering media should be fine for that, no problem with meshes as long
> as they are closed of course.  If you need it on a singular mesh surface
> you will have to 'double' it to get a closed volume.

That is what I want to avoid. I already have several hunderts of thouthands
triangles. I don't want to double them (or almost triple to close it
properly)

regards
SY

Date: 19 Feb 2002 17:02:01
Message: <3c72cb59$1@news.povray.org>
> Scattering media is the right thing to use here, it should work fine as
> long as your mesh is "well behaved", meaning it doesn't have any
> internal surfaces or openings.

That is the point: it is flat. And since the nr. of triangles is huge I
don't want (can't?) double them to make it closed.
No other way?

regards
SY

Post a reply to this message