POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : milky glass problem : Re: milky glass problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: milky glass problem
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Feb 2002 15:23:34
Message: <3C72B439.A5EBB7CF@gmx.de>

> Hi there,
>
> maybe I'm not an advanced user but I need help from one. So I hope this post
> isn't OT.
> It's about the milky glass problem. It is not an easy task for ANY raytracer
> but since I'm working on POV, POV tips are preferred :-)
>
> I need some texture which simulates shining-through-but-not-transparent
> objects. The first thing which comes into my mind is a hollow object filled
> with scattering media or similar things. Unfortunately I want to apply this
> texture onto a mesh which is therefore infinitively thin (at least the
> triangles). Does any one know a fancy trick to emulate milky glass by using
> a texture?

Scattering media should be fine for that, no problem with meshes as long
as they are closed of course.  If you need it on a singular mesh surface
you will have to 'double' it to get a closed volume.

See:

http://news.povray.org/3B97ABD4.5E70568D@engineer.com

(no milky glass but a glass of milk, that should not be a problem though)

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,