POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : milky glass problem : milky glass problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  milky glass problem
Date: 19 Feb 2002 14:34:15
Message: <3c72a8b7$1@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

maybe I'm not an advanced user but I need help from one. So I hope this post
isn't OT.
It's about the milky glass problem. It is not an easy task for ANY raytracer
but since I'm working on POV, POV tips are preferred :-)

I need some texture which simulates shining-through-but-not-transparent
objects. The first thing which comes into my mind is a hollow object filled
with scattering media or similar things. Unfortunately I want to apply this
texture onto a mesh which is therefore infinitively thin (at least the
triangles). Does any one know a fancy trick to emulate milky glass by using
a texture?
The object should also be bright in case the light source is BEHIND the
object (like milky glass does). Any way to do this? Please note that it is
about difficult lighting situations with varying arrangement of the objects.
So any hand-trimmed ambient stuff will fail.
It really needs to be a result of a rendering process.

Any hints?
I really got stuck with this.

Thanks in advance,
regards,