POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : rendering speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  rendering speed (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Subject: rendering speed
Date: 8 Mar 2001 04:56:13
Message: <3aa7573d@news.povray.org>
I have to model scene with a lot of parallelepiped. Some of them can be boxes
and some not. Perhaps there is any person with done comparision about rendering:
mesh, prism, boxes, polygons, clipped planes (perhaps something other). The rule
is that objects are sometimes multicopied - I know that copied mesh saves memory
but what about rendering ? Is rendering of 12 triangles faster than rendering of
one box? Of course I can make test but under my WinNT I never sure if there
wasn't other process. I have not dedicated comp for POV. The short schema of my
scenefile is something like this :

#macro CreateParallelepiped(Args...)
  box{} or mesh{} or prism{} or polygon{} something else
#end

#macro ObjectOne()
  #local Object=CreateParallelepiped(...)
  union{
    object{Object transform{somewhere1}}
    object{Object transform{somewhere2}}
    object{Object transform{somewhere3}}
    object{Object transform{somewhere4}}
  }
#end

#macro ObjectTwo()
  #local Object=ObjectOne()
  union{
    object{Object transform{somewhereA}}
    object{Object transform{somewhereB}}
    object{Object transform{somewhereC}}
  }
#end

ObjectTwo()

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I have to model scene with a lot of parallelepiped. Some of them can be boxes
> and some not. Perhaps there is any person with done comparision about rendering:
> mesh, prism, boxes, polygons, clipped planes (perhaps something other). The rule
> is that objects are sometimes multicopied - I know that copied mesh saves memory
> but what about rendering ? Is rendering of 12 triangles faster than rendering of
> one box?

box and mesh are probably the fastest.  You could also try making several
'objects' with one mesh, but i don't know if that will improve things
much.

> Of course I can make test but under my WinNT I never sure if there
> wasn't other process. I have not dedicated comp for

If you use the CPU time in the Task manager, values should be comparable
even if other processes are running.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> > Of course I can make test but under my WinNT I never sure if there
> > wasn't other process. I have not dedicated comp for
>
> If you use the CPU time in the Task manager, values should be comparable
> even if other processes are running.

even if memory swaping is used ?
unfortunatly without POV I'm using 113 of 130 MB
when I run POV and prepare large enough scene - I think swaping will be used :-(

ABX

Post a reply to this message