POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : collision detection Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:41 EDT (-0400)
  collision detection (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Paul Jones
Subject: collision detection
Date: 22 Feb 2001 09:57:47
Message: <3A9528ED.EE6FFF0C@psu.edu>
How can I create a collision detection routine? More specifically, what
do I look at to determine if two objects have collided in pov-space ? I
can figure it out with...say... unit spheres, that is easy, but what
about rotated cubes and more oddly shaped objects??

thank you

paul
--

--------------------------------------------------}
Paul Daniel Jones

pdj### [at] psuedu
http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul

       C            The way is near, but men
     // \           seek it afar. It is in the
    N    N          easy things, but men seek it
    |    ||         in the difficult things.
    C    C          -Menicius
     \\  /
--------------------------------------------------}

Post a reply to this message

> How can I create a collision detection routine? More specifically, what
> do I look at to determine if two objects have collided in pov-space ? I
> can figure it out with...say... unit spheres, that is easy, but what
> about rotated cubes and more oddly shaped objects??

In general that's a very difficult task, one method would be doing a lot
of tests with 'trace'.

Finding out whether two boxes collide could for example be done by
'tracing' along all their edges.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>