POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface function: rippled box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface function: rippled box (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: ian
Subject: Isosurface function: rippled box
Date: 12 Oct 2000 14:00:29
Message: <39e5fc3d@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I am looking for an isosurface function to make a box with ripples like one
would find on a large pool of water. The ripples need to be not of the type
one would find after throwing a rock in, but like those found on a still
wind blown lake.

I wish for this to be subtracted from my pool of water, as I dislike normals
when true displacement is available.

I attempt this pedantic level of reality as all others have been covered
within current ability; Media falloff in the water with conservation of
energy, photons and radiosity, etc..

ian

Post a reply to this message

> I am looking for an isosurface function to make a box with ripples like one
> would find on a large pool of water. The ripples need to be not of the type
> one would find after throwing a rock in, but like those found on a still
> wind blown lake.
>
> I wish for this to be subtracted from my pool of water, as I dislike normals
> when true displacement is available.
>
> I attempt this pedantic level of reality as all others have been covered
> within current ability; Media falloff in the water with conservation of
> energy, photons and radiosity, etc..
>
> ian

You could try any pigment function with a pattern like you would use for a
normal statement.  Furthermore you could try a Ridged Multifractal function
which can give very realistic water.

Check out the entries in the last IRTC, there are a lot using isosurfaces for
realistic water.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>