POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Media (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Simon Lemieux
Subject: Re: Media
Date: 12 Aug 2000 12:06:37
Message: <39957651.C3CABCC2@yahoo.com>
> Actually, scattering media does simulate the dimming of light passing
> through media...make a sphere with a white pigment with a filter of
> 1(not transmit, filter), fill it with scattering media, and it will
> leave a shadow which is darker in the denser/thicker areas. The same
> goes for absorption media, though absorption doesn't calculate light
> reflecting from the media, so you won't see light rays through it like
> you can with scattering.

Yes I know, I have understood that (I think) if the filter is replaced by a
transmit you get no shadow... etc...

but it just doesn't work out for my object...
Can I set a media to a blob object?

Thanks,
	Simon

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Aug 2000 12:35:45
Message: <chrishuff-282A05.11365212082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39957086.94D58FFE@yahoo.com>, lem### [at] yahoocom wrote:

> Here, I've tried the code below, but it doesn't give me anything, my
> object is plain transparent and we can see some darkened outline, but
> that looks more like a bug since the object is pigment {rgbf 1}...
>
> Is there any global_settings I need to turn on to see a cloud? Is there
> something I'm missing?

What is the object containing the media? Media is dependant on scale,
larger objects need a less dense media to get the same effect.
Also, for this effect, you don't need emission or absorption media. And
you should specify samples and intervals, the defaults don't work well,
especially for scattering media. Oh, and make sure the container object
has "hollow" specified.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Yes I know, I have understood that (I think) if the filter is
> replaced by a transmit you get no shadow... etc...
>
> but it just doesn't work out for my object...
> Can I set a media to a blob object?

Media will work with any object that has an inside and outside,
including blobs.