POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media : Re: Media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 Aug 2000 13:36:28
Message: <399c229c@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
| "Simon Lemieux" <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
| | > Not if you want the default which is media interaction on and media
| | > attenuation is off by default and is for fading with distance.
| |
| | I was thinking about a cloud... so the media attenuation should be set
| on...
| | no?  so there is a shadow?

What I said below is wrong.  Sorry for the mistake.

| Not shadow exactly, it's a 'fade_distance' relationship.  You would need
| use that keyword in the light source(s) in order to "attenuate" first then
| with it set to on to diminish the light according to that distance and
also
| 'fade_power'.
| At least that's how I'm thinking it goes.  Just looked it up in the scene
| help and it's not said to be based solely on fading.  Anyone else know for
| sure?

I'll answer my own question.  There is apparently attenuation of a fog or
media based on those themselves and not on fade distance or power.

| If media/fog attenuates lights without a specified fade then it must be a
| fixed default.

I'm guessing it's simply by amount of fog or media alone.  So, for example,
when fog thickens with distance so to does the light when 'media_attenuation
on' is used in the light source.  Same goes for media.
It would seem that fade_distance fade_power is a separate entity unto
itself, only for doing the light source and not associated in any way with
media_interaction and media_attenuation (not directly anyhow).  Still, I'm
not %100 sure of this but that would be how it seems described in the
documentation.

Bob