POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Math question for CSG Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Math question for CSG (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: CreeD
Subject: Math question for CSG
Date: 11 May 2001 22:43:07
Message: <01c0da8d$feaa6e40$5e6dded1@mk>
Hi,
 I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
ideally, post the code?)

Post a reply to this message

>  I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
> some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
> for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
> equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
> from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
> sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
> gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
> ideally, post the code?)

Here is one solution:

intersection {
   box { <-1.5, 0, -1.5>, <1.5, 1, 1.5> }
   plane {-z, 0 translate <0, 0, -1> }
   plane {-z, 0 translate <0, 0, -1> rotate <0, 120, 0> }
   plane {-z, 0 translate <0, 0, -1> rotate <0, 240, 0> }
   plane {-z, 0 translate <0, 0, -1.4> rotate <0, 60, 0> }
   plane {-z, 0 translate <0, 0, -1.4> rotate <0, 180, 0> }
   plane {-z, 0 translate <0, 0, -1.4> rotate <0, 300, 0> }
}

/Ib
-------------------------------
Gallery: http://www.ibras.dk

Post a reply to this message

>  I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
> some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
> for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
> equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
> from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
> sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
> gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
> ideally, post the code?)

I may be wrong and I don't see Ib Rasmussen's solution, but my Excel
gives as the solution the two equilateral triangles with sides R, R, and
A (the other is then R, R, and 3A), in which A/R = 0.48038446.
The smaller one has an angle opposite to A of 27.7957724 degrees, while
the larger has an angle of 92.2042276 degrees. They make together 120
degrees, and you have 3 such sets of triangles...
This should not be difficult to code!
Hope this helps.
--
Regards,  Sander

Post a reply to this message

From: Sander
Date: 12 May 2001 06:10:21
Message: <MPG.15672ab2961fd6b1989777@NEWS.POVRAY.ORG>
In article <MPG### [at] NEWSPOVRAYORG>, Sander says...
> In article <01c0da8d$feaa6e40$5e6dded1@mk>, CreeD says...
> > Hi,
> >  I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
<snip>
> This should not be difficult to code!
> Hope this helps.

Drawing in p.b.i. !
--
Regards,  Sander

Post a reply to this message

From: Ib Rasmussen
Date: 12 May 2001 08:22:12
Message: <3AFD2AE5.975E6FD9@ibras.dk>
CreeD wrote:

> Hi,
>  I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
> some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
> for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
> equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
> from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
> sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
> gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
> ideally, post the code?)

Here's another way:

#declare Triang=prism {
   linear_spline
   0, 1, 3
   <-1.732, -1>, <1.732, -1>, <0, 2>
}

intersection {
   object { Triang }
   object { Triang scale 1.4 rotate <0, 180, 0> }
   texture { pigment { Blue } }
}

/Ib

Post a reply to this message

From: Ib Rasmussen
Date: 12 May 2001 08:27:06
Message: <3AFD2C0A.4E5F573F@ibras.dk>
CreeD wrote:

> Hi,
>  I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
> some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
> for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
> equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
> from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
> sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
> gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
> ideally, post the code?)

Here's a third way:

prism {
   linear_spline
   0, 1, 6
   <-1.0392, -1.0000>, < 1.0392, -1.0000>, < 1.3856, -0.4000>,
   <0.3464, 1.4>, <-0.3464, 1.4>, <-1.3856, -0.4000>
   texture { pigment { Blue } }
}

Got enough? :-)

/Ib

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 May 2001 14:53:40
Message: <N2oowDAbBU$6EwLW@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it CreeD who wrote:
>Hi,
> I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
>some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
>for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
>equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
>from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
>sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
>gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
>ideally, post the code?)

One way to do it is to start with one of the corners at <0,0> and walk
round the shape, calculating the position of the next point relative to
the last one.

The second point is 3 units x-wards of the first point, so we can
declare it as

   #declare P2 = <3,0>;

The next point is 1 unit away from P2 at an angle of 60 degrees, so
that's cos(60) x-wards and sin(60) z-wards, i.e.

   #declare P3 = P2 + <COS60,SIN60>;

because POV uses radians rather than degrees, we declare COS60 and SIN60
as

   #declare SIN60=sin(pi/3);
   #declare COS60=cos(pi/3);

Once we've declared all the points, we can build a prism object,
something like this:-

//====================================================

camera { location  <1.5, 4, -2> look_at <1.5, 0, 1.5>}

light_source {<-100,200,-100> colour rgb 2}

plane { y, 0 pigment {rgb y/2}}

#declare SIN60=sin(pi/3);
#declare COS60=cos(pi/3);

#declare P1 = <0,0>;
#declare P2 = <3,0>;
#declare P3 = P2 + <COS60,SIN60>;
#declare P4 = P3 + <-3*COS60,3*SIN60>;
#declare P5 = P4 + <-1,0>;
#declare P6 = P5 + <-3*COS60,-3*SIN60>;

prism { linear_sweep linear_spline
   0,        // base height
   1,        // top height
   7,        // number of points
   P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, P1  // the points we calculated earlier
   pigment {rgb x}
}

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 12 May 2001 19:54:38
Message: <3AFDCD74.8AE230B8@pobox.com>
CreeD wrote:
> It's shaped like an equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped
> off.  In other words, viewed from above it's a hexagon with 3 long
> sides and 3 short ones.  The short sides should equal exactly 1/3rd
> of the long ones.  Can someone give me the gist of how to come up
> with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or, ideally, post the
> code?)

The corners are all on a regular triangular lattice ...

	b = sqrt(3/4);	// sin(pi/3)

	P0 = < 0  , 0 >
	P1 = < 3  , 0 >
	P2 = < 3.5, b >
	P3 = < 2  ,4b >
	P4 = < 1  ,4b >
	P5 = <-0.5, b >

What you need most is the second coordinate of the centroid, which is
5b/3, or 5/sqrt(12) -- that's its distance from the line {P0,P1}.
Subtract it from 4b to get 7b/3 = 7/sqrt(12), the distance from the
centroid to the line {P3,P4}.  Thus:

	intersection {
		plane {  z, 5/sqrt(12) }
		plane {  z, 5/sqrt(12) rotate  120*y }
		plane {  z, 5/sqrt(12) rotate -120*y }
		plane { -z, 7/sqrt(12) }
		plane { -z, 7/sqrt(12) rotate  120*y }
		plane { -z, 7/sqrt(12) rotate -120*y }
		}

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0### [at] p0b0xcom  --  http://ogre.nu/
(not an advanced user)

Post a reply to this message

From: Sander
Date: 13 May 2001 04:17:32
Message: <MPG.156861857f1f12fb989779@NEWS.POVRAY.ORG>
In article <3AFDCD74.8AE230B8@pobox.com>, Anton Sherwood says...
> CreeD wrote:
>
> The corners are all on a regular triangular lattice ...

<snip>

Yes: I knew that I missed something simple, as usual :)
--
Regards,  Sander

Post a reply to this message

From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 13 May 2001 11:24:11
Message: <3AFEA753.F128EAC3@pobox.com>
#define Thing = box { <-2.5,-h,-5/sqrt(12)>, <2.5,h,7/sqrt(12)> }
intersection {
	object { Thing }
	object { Thing rotate 120*y translate -y*epsilon }
	object { Thing rotate -120*y translate y*epsilon }
	}

The translation is to avoid the Coincident Surfaces Problem, though why
that should apply as it does to intersections I have no idea.

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0### [at] p0b0xcom  --  http://ogre.nu/