POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Math question for CSG : Re: Math question for CSG Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math question for CSG
From: Sander
Date: 12 May 2001 04:59:11
Message: <MPG.156719fb133d6991989776@NEWS.POVRAY.ORG>
In article <01c0da8d$feaa6e40$5e6dded1@mk>, CreeD says...
> Hi,
>  I see that POV has a basic triangle built in shape, but I'm looking to do
> some CSG involving a large triangular shape.  What I'm eventually looking
> for is a prism on the xz plane with 6 points.  It's shaped like an
> equilateral triangle with the 3 points clipped off.  In other words, viewed
> from above it's a hexagon with 3 long sides and 3 short ones.  The short
> sides should equal exactly 1/3rd of the long ones.  Can someone give me the
> gist of how to come up with some exact coordinates for such a shape (or,
> ideally, post the code?)

I may be wrong and I don't see Ib Rasmussen's solution, but my Excel
gives as the solution the two equilateral triangles with sides R, R, and
A (the other is then R, R, and 3A), in which A/R = 0.48038446.
The smaller one has an angle opposite to A of 27.7957724 degrees, while
the larger has an angle of 92.2042276 degrees. They make together 120
degrees, and you have 3 such sets of triangles...
This should not be difficult to code!
Hope this helps.
--
Regards,  Sander