POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFE: make hollow objects Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:30 EDT (-0400)
  RFE: make hollow objects (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Chuck Roberts
Subject: RFE: make hollow objects
Date: 9 Aug 2000 12:08:54
Message: <399182CA.48BA17CE@accn.org>
Request for Enhancement

I would like to be able to make real hollow objects. I know you
can specify an object to be "hollow" but you can't put a light
inside it and have it shine through windows you have cut out of
the object.

A real hollow object, like a cube, would be differenced with a
cube slightly smaller than itself (say 1% smaller in each
direction).

--
See my Free stuff page. It compares free website providers, and
lists free internet access providers.

Win98 help file loaded with hints and tips, including securing a
Win 95/98 PC in a classroom setting. VB4 help file with lots of
code and hints.
At http://www.crosswinds.net/~robertsc/

Post a reply to this message

> I would like to be able to make real hollow objects. I know you
> can specify an object to be "hollow" but you can't put a light
> inside it and have it shine through windows you have cut out of
> the object.
>
> A real hollow object, like a cube, would be differenced with a
> cube slightly smaller than itself (say 1% smaller in each
> direction).

You are now requesting a feature change/addition that would have
to be implemented in POV-Ray itself which has nothing to do with
the functionality of Moray.

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/languageVFAQ.html#hollowobjects

Not really. Moray would just do the few steps for me.
1. Create shape. (shape 1)
2. Create cutout of shape which is slightly smaller. (shape 2)
3. Make a difference group, subtract cutout from shape 1.