POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFE: make hollow objects : Re: make hollow objects Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: make hollow objects
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 10 Aug 2000 04:32:45
Message: <399268ad@news.povray.org>
"Chuck Roberts" <rob### [at] accnorg> wrote in message

| I would like to be able to make real hollow objects. I know you
| can specify an object to be "hollow" but you can't put a light
| inside it and have it shine through windows you have cut out of
| the object.

Using 'clipped_by' in POV-Ray is how you would do that, I don't know if
Moray has that ability or not.
Everything is hollow actually (not media hollow though) since all objects
are only a surface with inside and outside (well, most everything is).  So
what is going wrong when you try it is the 'difference' of one object from
another which leaves behind another surface at the cutaway.  Clipping
doesn't leave a surface where it is done, only a missing section of surface,
with the remaining object essentially hollowed out.
I didn't understand this was what you were talking about at first until I
realized you were thinking of differencing away a object with another.  That
is why lights or camera inside a box with little boxes cutting into the
outside walls don't open into the interior.  Only problem with clipped_by is
that there is no thickness to the clipped object.

Bob