POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : ANNOUNCE: Moray V3.2 Public Beta 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:22 EDT (-0400)
  ANNOUNCE: Moray V3.2 Public Beta 2 (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Moray V3.2 Public Beta 2
Date: 23 Jan 2000 13:12:13
Message: <388b43cc.5147982@194.174.214.110>
Hi Claire, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I have the same problem.  Unfortunately, it doesn't happen every time.
How do you open scenes? Does it happen with one specific method, or
with different method, or do you always open the scene in the same
way. As I mentioned we fixed a bug in PB1 that did cause exactly this
behaviour, are you seeing this in PB2?

> Personally, I'm more concerned about the multi-copies of textures when you
> merge objects/scenes.  I'm working in a large scene that I have broken up
> into smaller pieces.  When I put them together, well, it is a mess.  But, I
> know this is "beta" so I'll do my best to be patient. ;)
I'm not aware of any issues with multiple textures... can you
elaborate.

[Later]
Uhm, you say it is corrected, but we didn't change anything....<g>.
Just to be sure there are no outstanding issues here, what were you
referring to with the multi-copies of textures above?

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 23 Jan 2000 13:13:08
Message: <388c4481.5329303@194.174.214.110>
Hi Johannes Hubert, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Huh? Didn't you notice that your initial bug report was as a reply to a
> message with the subject line "ANNOUNCE: Moray V3.2 Public Beta 2" ??? ;-)
That's what got my heart started, I was so sure I'd fixed that
annoying bug<g>.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Spencer
Date: 23 Jan 2000 14:40:39
Message: <388b5937@news.povray.org>
Obviously not...whew, is my face red;)

Now I'm afraid to tell Lutz I'm still having the same problem on occasion.
Same as Claire's.

-Chris-

Johannes Hubert <jht### [at] nove-mailcom> wrote in message
> Chris Spencer <chr### [at] bluelectrodecom> wrote in message
> > Ok, I see now.  I was unaware of the second Beta.
>
> Huh? Didn't you notice that your initial bug report was as a reply to a
> message with the subject line "ANNOUNCE: Moray V3.2 Public Beta 2" ??? ;-)
>
> Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

From:  jivvy
Date: 23 Jan 2000 16:18:51
Message: <388b703b@news.povray.org>
>>How do you open scenes? Does it happen with one specific method, or
with different method, or do you always open the scene in the same
way. As I mentioned we fixed a bug in PB1 that did cause exactly this
behaviour, are you seeing this in PB2?<<

Let me spend some time testing to see if I can duplicate.

>>multi-textures

hrmmm... maybe it's sleep deprivation, not a beta bug... it happend on
merged scenes/object -- the merge object would have a texture *identical* to
a textures in the open scene -- I'd tell it to use whatever texture there
was, but I'd end up with teal, teal_1, teal_2, etc.  let me do some checking
and get back to you.

Claire

Post a reply to this message

From:  jivvy
Date: 23 Jan 2000 16:30:23
Message: <388b72ef@news.povray.org>
aargh... I'm still working on duplicating this, but criminy, I can't hit the
right combo.

however, I'm sitting here staring at Moray and there are two scenes in the
standard cam view, only one scene (the correct one) in the other three
views.  Until I hit redraw, the standard cam stays hosed.

I will say that 99% of the time, I'm selecting files from those listed on
the FILE dropdown menu (the ones that are the most recent four files that
have been opened).

If I come up with any more info, I'll let you know.

Claire

Post a reply to this message

From:  jivvy
Date: 23 Jan 2000 16:44:54
Message: <388b7656@news.povray.org>
>>Now I'm afraid to tell Lutz I'm still having the same problem on occasion.
Same as Claire's.<<

You are not alone. ;)

Let me ask you this (to see if we can find a common thread) -- do you have
any 3.x plugins that need to be updated to 3.2?  (You'll know because when
you boot Moray, you get an error message for each one.)

I just cleaned up my system so those old dlls are gone (no more error
messages) and now I'm not having any success at all with duplicating the
problem (before it was happening, I just couldn't see any pattern in what
caused it to happen).

Of course, as soon as I send this message, I'm sure I'll go back to Moray
and it will happen again... but I have my fingers crossed that the old
plugins were a possible source for the problem.

Claire

Post a reply to this message

From:  jivvy
Subject: Eureka! I found the key
Date: 23 Jan 2000 17:27:35
Message: <388b8057@news.povray.org>
Lutz,

I created two files -- one test-cube.mdl, one test-sphere.mdl (yes, one file
with just a cube, the other with just a sphere).

1. Open test-sphere.
2. Right click on the standard cam view to display the pop-up menu.
3. Left click on redraw to redraw the standard cam view (note, redrawing any
of the other views will not cause the bug -- nor will redrawing on the other
views stop the bug)
4. Click FILE so that the drop-down menu is displayed.
5. Click on another file to open it.
6. Say "yes" to whether you want to save the current file.
7.  Both scenes are now displayed in the standard cam view.

Three Notes:
1. When both scenes are displayed in the standard cam view, you only have to
mouseover and right click for the screen to redraw -- you don't have to
actually leftclick redraw.

2. Steps 4-7 can be varied greatly -- I saved the file, didn't save the
file, opened the file with the "open" command instead of clicking one of the
most recent -- none of that seemed to matter.  If I had redrawn in the
standard cam view, it did not display properly when I opened a new file.

And while the problem seems to only be with the standard cam view at
first... I was switching views around to make sure that the issue was the
"standard cam" view and not the "bottom right window" view.  I had switched
the side view (which had not had a problem) to standard cam view.  Voila, it
now has the problem.  Interestingly enough, when I switched it *back* to
side view, it exhibited the same problem for the next file open, but once a
rightclick/leftclick redraw was done, it no longer exhibited the problem.

Hope this helps... (off to see if I can figure out what I was talking about
in the "multi-textures" issue)

Claire

Post a reply to this message

From:  jivvy
Date: 23 Jan 2000 17:28:36
Message: <388b8094@news.povray.org>
ignore that one (about the plugins)... see my message to Lutz -- we're not
crazy, I found out how to duplicate the problem. ;)

Claire

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex Wolff
Subject: Re: Eureka! I found the key
Date: 24 Jan 2000 01:07:08
Message: <388BEC15.4E0C@hrz1.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>
jivvy wrote:

> Lutz,
>
> I created two files -- one test-cube.mdl, one test-sphere.mdl (yes, one file
> with just a cube, the other with just a sphere).
>
> 1. Open test-sphere.
> 2. Right click on the standard cam view to display the pop-up menu.
> 3. Left click on redraw to redraw the standard cam view (note, redrawing any
> of the other views will not cause the bug -- nor will redrawing on the other
> views stop the bug)
> 4. Click FILE so that the drop-down menu is displayed.
> 5. Click on another file to open it.
> 6. Say "yes" to whether you want to save the current file.
> 7.  Both scenes are now displayed in the standard cam view.
>
> Three Notes:
> 1. When both scenes are displayed in the standard cam view, you only have to
> mouseover and right click for the screen to redraw -- you don't have to
> actually leftclick redraw.
>
> 2. Steps 4-7 can be varied greatly -- I saved the file, didn't save the
> file, opened the file with the "open" command instead of clicking one of the
> most recent -- none of that seemed to matter.  If I had redrawn in the
> standard cam view, it did not display properly when I opened a new file.
>
> And while the problem seems to only be with the standard cam view at
> first... I was switching views around to make sure that the issue was the
> "standard cam" view and not the "bottom right window" view.  I had switched
> the side view (which had not had a problem) to standard cam view.  Voila, it
> now has the problem.  Interestingly enough, when I switched it *back* to
> side view, it exhibited the same problem for the next file open, but once a
> rightclick/leftclick redraw was done, it no longer exhibited the problem.
>
> Hope this helps... (off to see if I can figure out what I was talking about
> in the "multi-textures" issue)
>
> Claire

hi,
i had a problem which may be forced by the same bug described above:
while playing around with the animation plugin suddenly the camera-view
window got "freezed". that means, while moving the animation-slider the
objects in the camera window do no longer move. in the three other
windows (side-views) everything is like it should be...
i'm using the moray beta2 with the animation plugin beta 18 BUT: this
problem is not new to me; i saw it while using moray 3.1 with an older
version of the anim-plugin on a NT4.0
i don't know how to reproduce this error. (but i'll keep on testing)
alex

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 24 Jan 2000 08:38:29
Message: <388c5588.20183021@194.174.214.110>
Hi Claire, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> 1. Open test-sphere.
> 7.  Both scenes are now displayed in the standard cam view.
Excellent description, I managed to reproduce and fix it. Thanks much.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray