POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o= Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o= (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: gregjohn
Subject: What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o=
Date: 14 Jun 2010 12:25:01
Message: <web.4c1657692df9451530bf98980@news.povray.org>
IRTC is apparently unable to host animations because of the limitations of the
software language/ system is was designed under.

TC-RTC has not, IIRC, ever had either John vanSickle's "Rusty" character or
Markus' "Anthrosphinx" character. TC-RTC has had a couple of single and
zero-entry rounds for animation. And the latest round is "open," which sort of
means it's over.  So yes, I'm talking about starting over.

What would it take, John and Markus, (maybe even Matt) to get you to produce
another animation?  Could we come up with a contract, say that we all agree to
work on an animation under X criteria, and uploaded to Youtube by a certain
date? (If a hundred other pov'vers were making animations, I'd be delighted and
ignore those two guys, but somehow I think that the disappearance of regular
IRTC animators is key. )

Here's my proposed CONTRACT ON RAYTRACING, which is of course open to
negotiation.

i)   45 days [1]
ii)  20 sec to 2 mins [2]
iii) Same ol' raytracing requirements as IRTC, TC_RTC. [3]
iv)  Upload to Youtube/ Vimeo with a certain tag  [4]
v)   A randomly chosen topic from a list of umpteen that are acceptable to the
contracting parties beforehand. [5]
vi)  Voting open-ended, possibly not necessary [6]

[1] Say your nephew came over and was delighted with your animation ability, and
asked you to show him how it worked. And you made a walk cycle for him on the
spot. That's the kind of fun I'm trying to capture.  If on the other hand,
someone asked you to submit work that would be judged alongside that of M.F.A.
students who each has 120 days to polish an entry, I'm guessing you'd have a lot
more anguish. If you knew the quality of EVERYONE'S work was bounded by having a
short time, you might be more relaxed and just have fun.

[2]  Some time limit. Maybe on the short end to encourage folks to make it
simpler.

[3]  Whatever

[4]  Unless someone's readily got their own system ready to roll at drop of a
hat. In one discussion a few years ago, someone said no youtube because that
involves too many compression artifacts. Let's just do something fun.

[5]  My preference is topics which evoke a fun, short character-based story,
either a scifi or 19th century sea adventure novel rather than generic
demonstrations of raytracing.

Jules Verne
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/v#a60

Joseph Conrad
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/c#a125

H.G. Wells
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/w#a30

[6]  If one of the contracting parties has a strong opinion here, I'll defer to
them.

--------------------------
FWIW, my real email address is at gmail, with the userid I used to register
here.

Post a reply to this message

> IRTC is apparently unable to host animations because of the limitations of the
> software language/ system is was designed under.
>
> TC-RTC has not, IIRC, ever had either John vanSickle's "Rusty" character or
> Markus' "Anthrosphinx" character. TC-RTC has had a couple of single and
> zero-entry rounds for animation. And the latest round is "open," which sort of
> means it's over.  So yes, I'm talking about starting over.

The TC-RTC is only an open topic because I could not get the animation

able to find the time to contact the developer. (Thomas de Groot is
looking after the stills side)

it to continue but that is dependent on people entering. So the more
people that are interested the better. We are thinking of doing a
rewrite of the site so any suggestions are welcome.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> IRTC is apparently unable to host animations because of the limitations of the
> software language/ system is was designed under.
>
> TC-RTC has not, IIRC, ever had either John vanSickle's "Rusty" character or
> Markus' "Anthrosphinx" character. TC-RTC has had a couple of single and
> zero-entry rounds for animation. And the latest round is "open," which sort of
> means it's over.  So yes, I'm talking about starting over.

Oh come on, I've had one ready for the TC-RTC opening:
http://tc-rtc.co.uk/displayallimages/animation/18/2007-May.html

It just didn't get voted on, so it's kinda in the
back-catalog where you've got to know where to look for it :)

(I think I was the only one who tried the voting, so I ended
up kicking my own entry (can't vote on it) off the list. D'oh ;)

> What would it take, John and Markus, (maybe even Matt) to get you to produce
> another animation?  Could we come up with a contract, say that we all agree to
> work on an animation under X criteria, and uploaded to Youtube by a certain
> date? (If a hundred other pov'vers were making animations, I'd be delighted and
> ignore those two guys, but somehow I think that the disappearance of regular
> IRTC animators is key. )

What would it take? Time and energy. Time isn't actually
that bad, it's more of a energy/motivation thing. I feel I'm
getting too old to pull 3D edit all-nighters AND show up to
work the next morning... I'm still intrigued by the TC-RTC
topics, and usually write down a screenplay, but when it
comes to sitting down and actually turning it into 3D ...
seeing what people with time and dedication at hand can come
up with (vaguely looking at all those students of CG art and
animation with their diploma works available on YouTube), I
know that my output will never be polished enough or look
anything like my imagination, so I end up with a ton of "why
bother" crushing all intent to go beyond scripting and
scribbling... :(

Though I *do* appreciate being mentioned here, after all
that time (three years... sigh.) ... who knows, might as
well try and bring the old girls back this time. :)

I'm not promising anything, mind you...

-Markus

Post a reply to this message

On 15/06/2010 10:22 AM, Markus Altendorff wrote:

> Oh come on, I've had one ready for the TC-RTC opening:
> http://tc-rtc.co.uk/displayallimages/animation/18/2007-May.html
>
> It just didn't get voted on, so it's kinda in the back-catalog where
> you've got to know where to look for it :)
>
> (I think I was the only one who tried the voting, so I ended up kicking
> my own entry (can't vote on it) off the list. D'oh ;)

allowed voting time. Shame that the automatic bonus for voting on all
other entries was not working as you would have been at the top of the
scoreboard.

> What would it take? Time and energy. Time isn't actually that bad, it's
> more of a energy/motivation thing. I feel I'm getting too old to pull 3D
> edit all-nighters AND show up to work the next morning... I'm still
> intrigued by the TC-RTC topics, and usually write down a screenplay, but
> when it comes to sitting down and actually turning it into 3D ... seeing
> what people with time and dedication at hand can come up with (vaguely
> looking at all those students of CG art and animation with their diploma
> works available on YouTube), I know that my output will never be
> polished enough or look anything like my imagination, so I end up with a
> ton of "why bother" crushing all intent to go beyond scripting and
> scribbling... :(

I agree, the effort is enormous when working full time. My last

> Though I *do* appreciate being mentioned here, after all that time
> (three years... sigh.) ... who knows, might as well try and bring the
> old girls back this time. :)
>
> I'm not promising anything, mind you...

The animation section of TC-RTC has been way too quiet and it would be
good if we could get it restarted again.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message