POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o= : What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o= Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o=
From: gregjohn
Date: 14 Jun 2010 12:25:01
Message: <web.4c1657692df9451530bf98980@news.povray.org>
IRTC is apparently unable to host animations because of the limitations of the
software language/ system is was designed under.

TC-RTC has not, IIRC, ever had either John vanSickle's "Rusty" character or
Markus' "Anthrosphinx" character. TC-RTC has had a couple of single and
zero-entry rounds for animation. And the latest round is "open," which sort of
means it's over.  So yes, I'm talking about starting over.

What would it take, John and Markus, (maybe even Matt) to get you to produce
another animation?  Could we come up with a contract, say that we all agree to
work on an animation under X criteria, and uploaded to Youtube by a certain
date? (If a hundred other pov'vers were making animations, I'd be delighted and
ignore those two guys, but somehow I think that the disappearance of regular
IRTC animators is key. )

Here's my proposed CONTRACT ON RAYTRACING, which is of course open to
negotiation.

i)   45 days [1]
ii)  20 sec to 2 mins [2]
iii) Same ol' raytracing requirements as IRTC, TC_RTC. [3]
iv)  Upload to Youtube/ Vimeo with a certain tag  [4]
v)   A randomly chosen topic from a list of umpteen that are acceptable to the
contracting parties beforehand. [5]
vi)  Voting open-ended, possibly not necessary [6]

[1] Say your nephew came over and was delighted with your animation ability, and
asked you to show him how it worked. And you made a walk cycle for him on the
spot. That's the kind of fun I'm trying to capture.  If on the other hand,
someone asked you to submit work that would be judged alongside that of M.F.A.
students who each has 120 days to polish an entry, I'm guessing you'd have a lot
more anguish. If you knew the quality of EVERYONE'S work was bounded by having a
short time, you might be more relaxed and just have fun.

[2]  Some time limit. Maybe on the short end to encourage folks to make it
simpler.

[3]  Whatever

[4]  Unless someone's readily got their own system ready to roll at drop of a
hat. In one discussion a few years ago, someone said no youtube because that
involves too many compression artifacts. Let's just do something fun.

[5]  My preference is topics which evoke a fun, short character-based story,
either a scifi or 19th century sea adventure novel rather than generic
demonstrations of raytracing.

Jules Verne
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/v#a60

Joseph Conrad
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/c#a125

H.G. Wells
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/w#a30

[6]  If one of the contracting parties has a strong opinion here, I'll defer to
them.

FWIW, my real email address is at gmail, with the userid I used to register
here.