POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wolfram's rule 110 bit Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Wolfram's rule 110 bit (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Darren New
Subject: Wolfram's rule 110 bit
Date: 22 Dec 2010 18:07:55
Message: <4d1284cb@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

"""
A computer with access to an infinite tape of data is sometimes more
powerful than a Turing machine, because the tape can in principle contain
the solution to the halting problem, or some other undecidable problem. An
infinite tape of data is called a Turing oracle. Even a Turing oracle with
random data is not computable (with probability 1), since there are only
countably many computations but uncountably many oracles. So a computer with
a random Turing oracle can compute things that a Turing machine cannot.
"""

Ha! I knew there was a reason I thought the argument that Rule 110 was
turing complete was a bit flakey.  Initializing an infinite tape for a
turing machine at least makes it more powerful than one with an
uninitialized tape. And rule 110 needs an infinitely initialized tape.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

Am 23.12.2010 00:07, schrieb Darren New:

> Ha! I knew there was a reason I thought the argument that Rule 110 was
> turing complete was a bit flakey. Initializing an infinite tape for a
> turing machine at least makes it more powerful than one with an
> uninitialized tape. And rule 110 needs an infinitely initialized tape.

That's not a problem in cellular automata, as they - by definition -
have an infinitely initialized "tape" (or, rather, grid of cells).

Also note that rule 110 was proven to be /Turing complete/, not /Turing
equivalent/.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 23.12.2010 00:07, schrieb Darren New:
>
>> Ha! I knew there was a reason I thought the argument that Rule 110 was
>> turing complete was a bit flakey. Initializing an infinite tape for a
>> turing machine at least makes it more powerful than one with an
>> uninitialized tape. And rule 110 needs an infinitely initialized tape.
>
> That's not a problem in cellular automata, as they - by definition -
> have an infinitely initialized "tape" (or, rather, grid of cells).

Well, there's a problem with that, tho. Let's initialize the grid to be 1 if
the program represented by the X coordinate halts with the input represented
by the Y coordinate, and 0 if it doesn't. Bingo - just solved the halting
problem.

I'm not convinced. I'm not sure either way, mind. It just seems flakey and
not something you can assume.

Yes, a CA does an infinite amount of computation in each step. It's not
obvious to me that doing an infinite amount of computation before you
*start* makes it legal. Doing it with a multi-stage CA would work, but then
it wouldn't be rule 110 any more.

Am 04.01.2011 19:47, schrieb Darren New:
> clipka wrote:
>> Am 23.12.2010 00:07, schrieb Darren New:
>>
>>> Ha! I knew there was a reason I thought the argument that Rule 110 was
>>> turing complete was a bit flakey. Initializing an infinite tape for a
>>> turing machine at least makes it more powerful than one with an
>>> uninitialized tape. And rule 110 needs an infinitely initialized tape.
>>
>> That's not a problem in cellular automata, as they - by definition -
>> have an infinitely initialized "tape" (or, rather, grid of cells).
>
> Well, there's a problem with that, tho. Let's initialize the grid to be
> 1 if the program represented by the X coordinate halts with the input
> represented by the Y coordinate, and 0 if it doesn't. Bingo - just
> solved the halting problem.

You just added an oracle.

> I'm not convinced. I'm not sure either way, mind. It just seems flakey
> and not something you can assume.

Why not? Both CA and Turing machine are theoretical constructs anyway,
so you can assume just about anything.

> Yes, a CA does an infinite amount of computation in each step. It's not
> obvious to me that doing an infinite amount of computation before you
> *start* makes it legal. Doing it with a multi-stage CA would work, but
> then it wouldn't be rule 110 any more.

Actually you don't even need pre-initialized cells (or infinitely many
cells, for that matter) any more than you do with a Turing machine, if
you go for a CA with more than just two states.

All you need is a set of special states to represent some
"initialization area" which you place on both sides of your "payload
data", defined in such a way that it moves outward at 1 cell per cycle
while auto-generating the desired "background pattern".

There - you just eliminated the need for any pre-calculation. As the
maximum propagation speed of any pattern in a CA is 1 cell per cycle,
you are guaranteed to have the "background pattern" wherever you need
it. Flaw fixed.

Post a reply to this message

> Actually you don't even need pre-initialized cells (or infinitely many
> cells, for that matter) any more than you do with a Turing machine, if
> you go for a CA with more than just two states.
>
> All you need is a set of special states to represent some
> "initialization area" which you place on both sides of your "payload
> data", defined in such a way that it moves outward at 1 cell per cycle
> while auto-generating the desired "background pattern".
>
> There - you just eliminated the need for any pre-calculation. As the
> maximum propagation speed of any pattern in a CA is 1 cell per cycle,
> you are guaranteed to have the "background pattern" wherever you need
> it. Flaw fixed.

... oh, and to overcome the need of infinitely many cells you can of
course place a "cell factory" at each end of the string of cells, each
of which adds one more cell per cycle.

Post a reply to this message