POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wolfram's rule 110 bit : Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jan 2011 20:28:53
Message: <4d23c955$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> On 1/4/2011 12:56 PM, Darren New wrote:
>>
>> Given that a CA does an infinite amount of computation each step, I just
>> don't know if that's problematic or not. Naturally Wolfram says it
>> isn't, but I haven't heard it addressed anywhere, and I've looked.
>>

> Right after the rule 110 UTM result was announced I read something
> talking about exactly your argument:
> http://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2007-October/012156.html (response from
> Tod Rowland here
> http://forum.wolframscience.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1472)

Cool. Altho I think we're talking more about the Cawley post on that page. I
understand the abstract, but I'm not sure what the implications are of
having CAs whose behavior is decidable on all finite initializations and
undecidable on an infinite repetative initialization.

> How one measures the "complexity" of such a machine seems to be a
> matter of social convention more than anything else.

Well, I think it's more than one needs to define what is meant.

If you can prove that an infinite repetitive initialization doesn't ever
give you more power than a constant initialization (i.e., in a similar way
as you can prove that extra tapes don't help a TM be more universal), then
I'd accept the 110 proof. But I didn't know if the Cawley paper makes that
implication or not.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: