POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wolfram's rule 110 bit : Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jan 2011 15:56:55
Message: <4d238997$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> You just added an oracle.

Yep. That's kind of the point I'm making.

>> I'm not convinced. I'm not sure either way, mind. It just seems flakey
>> and not something you can assume.
>
> Why not? Both CA and Turing machine are theoretical constructs anyway,
> so you can assume just about anything.

Why not? Because if I allow for infinite initialization, I can calculate
things with a CA that I can't calculate with a TM. You just pointed that out
above.

> There - you just eliminated the need for any pre-calculation. As the
> maximum propagation speed of any pattern in a CA is 1 cell per cycle,
> you are guaranteed to have the "background pattern" wherever you need
> it. Flaw fixed.

It's only "flaw fixed" if you want to claim that what you just created is
rule 110. That's like arguing that a 1-state TM is universal, because all
you have to do is add a few more states.

I'm not arguing that a CA can't be Turing complete. I'm arguing that
*Wolfram's* CA requires an infinite amount of initialization *before* it can
function as a UTM.

Given that a CA does an infinite amount of computation each step, I just
don't know if that's problematic or not. Naturally Wolfram says it isn't,
but I haven't heard it addressed anywhere, and I've looked.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: