POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wolfram's rule 110 bit : Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jan 2011 17:48:24
Message: <4d23a3b8@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> And that's no problem, because CA are allowed to have that /by definition/.

That right there is what I'm asking about. I've never seen a definition that
allows for a CA to have an infinite initialization other than to a default
state.  Do you have a citation to a definition that describes this? I am
having trouble coming up with a trivial way to define what would be the
allowable initialization and what would be the disallowed initialization
without making reference to something outside the realm of CAs. Perhaps if
you can describe its state based on a RE function of its index or something?

Note that a TM that just gets its initial tape initialized to purely random
symbols is also strictly more powerful than a TM that gets its tape
initialized to a constant. The thing about the TM is you can show that if
you initialize once cell per step, or if you keep a single extra register
with the index of the highest-read cell, you can avoid doing an infinite
initialization to start. (I.e., this would be the equivalent to the
tack-initializers-on-the-ends you were talking about for the linear CA.)

> unless the CA runs infinitely without ever entering a
> repeating sequence.

You mean, like a UTM might? ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)