POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wolfram's rule 110 bit : Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:11:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wolfram's rule 110 bit
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 4 Jan 2011 19:13:40
Message: <4d23b7b4$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/4/2011 12:56 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Given that a CA does an infinite amount of computation each step, I just
> don't know if that's problematic or not. Naturally Wolfram says it
> isn't, but I haven't heard it addressed anywhere, and I've looked.

Right after the rule 110 UTM result was announced I read something
talking about exactly your argument:
http://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2007-October/012156.html (response from
Tod Rowland here
http://forum.wolframscience.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1472)

I haven't read the proof, so I can't comment on it with any actual
knowledge, but this is the internet so I'll go ahead and say that my
impression is that the definition of "smallest universal machine" wasn't
defined precisely enough in the first place, and it seems, not
surprisingly, that you can "abuse" the initialization of the cells in a
CA.  How one measures the "complexity" of such a machine seems to be a
matter of social convention more than anything else.  I'd personally be
inclined not to allow such initializations, but clearly Wolfram is of a
different mind.