POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wolfram's rule 110 bit : Wolfram's rule 110 bit Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Wolfram's rule 110 bit
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Dec 2010 18:07:55
Message: <4d1284cb@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

"""
A computer with access to an infinite tape of data is sometimes more
powerful than a Turing machine, because the tape can in principle contain
the solution to the halting problem, or some other undecidable problem. An
infinite tape of data is called a Turing oracle. Even a Turing oracle with
random data is not computable (with probability 1), since there are only
countably many computations but uncountably many oracles. So a computer with
a random Turing oracle can compute things that a Turing machine cannot.
"""

Ha! I knew there was a reason I thought the argument that Rule 110 was
turing complete was a bit flakey.  Initializing an infinite tape for a
turing machine at least makes it more powerful than one with an
uninitialized tape. And rule 110 needs an infinitely initialized tape.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: