POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Things that make you go hmm... (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: Things that make you go hmm...
Date: 10 Jun 2009 11:30:44
Message: <4a2fd1a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/10/09 10:03, Invisible wrote:
> Who the hell does theoretical physics "commercially"?

	National labs? Particle accelerator labs?

> Engineering seems to involve CAD and material simulations far more than
> any actual "mathematics" as such.

	Most of it, yes. But places like IBM, Intel, etc have R&D divisions.
They don't just plug and chuck numbers.

> Predicting the stock market I'll give you - although that seems to be
> where everybody wants Python, Smalltalk and other weird languages.
> (Except Haskell.)

	I know one person who interviewed for a financial firm. He was telling
me about it, and said something like:

"They asked if I knew any Haskell. I've never heard of it. Have you?"

> Heh. I'd apply to Wolfram themselves if they were in the UK. And, you
> know, if it wasn't patently absurd for a nobody like me to be applying
> to an internationally renound company.

	What part of Oxfordshire is not in the UK?

	What does internationally renowned have to do with it? They have an
office in the UK. They'll need people to provide support from within the
UK. They perhaps do consulting for their clients every time they get stuck.

	Just because they're a big company doesn't mean that they don't have
all kinds of jobs - both big and small.

> That's a solved problem. (Solved several decades ago too.) You don't
> need Mathematica, you just need a good textbook.

	You may want Mathematica to help set some of it up.

--
"Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time!"

                     /\  /\               /\  /
                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message

> Who the hell does theoretical physics "commercially"?

Well, someone spent a whole s__tload of money building the LHC, and Cern has
been around for decades. Someone is doing theoretical physics for money.

> Engineering seems to involve CAD and material simulations far more than
> any actual "mathematics" as such.

Depends, really. If you're trying to come up with the best airplane wing,
there's a lot of math involved.

> Heh. I'd apply to Wolfram themselves if they were in the UK. And, you
> know, if it wasn't patently absurd for a nobody like me to be applying
> to an internationally renound company.

Never hurts to apply. And maybe they'll tell you who their customers are
enough to apply for a job nearby.

>> Someone has to figure out how those finite element simulations work.
>
> That's a solved problem. (Solved several decades ago too.) You don't
> need Mathematica, you just need a good textbook.

Someone has to figure out all the other stuff like that.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:03:59 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Heh. I'd apply to Wolfram themselves if they were in the UK. And, you
> know, if it wasn't patently absurd for a nobody like me to be applying
> to an internationally renound company.

Try it and stop running yourself down.  They have an office in Oxford.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Who the hell does theoretical physics "commercially"?
>
> Well, someone spent a whole s__tload of money building the LHC, and Cern
> has been around for decades. Someone is doing theoretical physics for
> money.

Yeah, about that... I forget how much it cost to build the LHC, but I do
wonder where the *hell* they got the money, considering that they're
just a bunch of scientists. Last time I checked, nobody pays money for
finding out how the universe works.

>> Engineering seems to involve CAD and material simulations far more
>> than any actual "mathematics" as such.
>
> Depends, really. If you're trying to come up with the best airplane
> wing, there's a lot of math involved.

Really? I assumed it was just a question of running different designs
through the simulator and seeing which ones have the best properties.

>> That's a solved problem. (Solved several decades ago too.) You don't
>> need Mathematica, you just need a good textbook.
>
> Someone has to figure out all the other stuff like that.

Are you seriously suggesting that there are problems that are unsolved?

Post a reply to this message