POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2009 11:56:44
Message: <4a31293c@news.povray.org>
>> Last time I checked, nobody pays money for finding out how the
>> universe works.
>
> All that money they used to build the thing? They spent it on people
> working, rather than welfare.
>
> And yes, what do you think the Hubble is all about, if not figuring out
> how the universe works?

I must admit, I've often wondered where the hell they got the money to
build Hubble, given that once it's built it generates no income...

>> Really? I assumed it was just a question of running different designs
>> through the simulator and seeing which ones have the best properties.
>
> How do you know what the simulation is supposed to do?  You want to
> simulate (say) a rocket launch? How are you going to do that if you
> don't know the formulae for a rocket launch?

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.

>> Are you seriously suggesting that there are problems that are unsolved?
>
> Yes?  Lots, even?  Even lots that have been unsolved for a long time?

I'm aware that there are lots of problems in science and mathematics
which are unsolved, but I was under the impression that things as
mundane as figuring out what shape a wing needs to be are not amoung them.