POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jun 2009 12:38:36
Message: <4a2fe18c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Who the hell does theoretical physics "commercially"?

Well, someone spent a whole s__tload of money building the LHC, and Cern has
been around for decades. Someone is doing theoretical physics for money.

> Engineering seems to involve CAD and material simulations far more than
> any actual "mathematics" as such.

Depends, really. If you're trying to come up with the best airplane wing,
there's a lot of math involved.

> Heh. I'd apply to Wolfram themselves if they were in the UK. And, you
> know, if it wasn't patently absurd for a nobody like me to be applying
> to an internationally renound company.

Never hurts to apply. And maybe they'll tell you who their customers are
enough to apply for a job nearby.

>> Someone has to figure out how those finite element simulations work.
>
> That's a solved problem. (Solved several decades ago too.) You don't
> need Mathematica, you just need a good textbook.

Someone has to figure out all the other stuff like that.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western