POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 10 Jun 2009 11:30:44
Message: <4a2fd1a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/10/09 10:03, Invisible wrote:
> Who the hell does theoretical physics "commercially"?

	National labs? Particle accelerator labs?

> Engineering seems to involve CAD and material simulations far more than
> any actual "mathematics" as such.

	Most of it, yes. But places like IBM, Intel, etc have R&D divisions.
They don't just plug and chuck numbers.

> Predicting the stock market I'll give you - although that seems to be
> where everybody wants Python, Smalltalk and other weird languages.
> (Except Haskell.)

	I know one person who interviewed for a financial firm. He was telling
me about it, and said something like:

"They asked if I knew any Haskell. I've never heard of it. Have you?"

> Heh. I'd apply to Wolfram themselves if they were in the UK. And, you
> know, if it wasn't patently absurd for a nobody like me to be applying
> to an internationally renound company.

	What part of Oxfordshire is not in the UK?

	What does internationally renowned have to do with it? They have an
office in the UK. They'll need people to provide support from within the
UK. They perhaps do consulting for their clients every time they get stuck.

	Just because they're a big company doesn't mean that they don't have
all kinds of jobs - both big and small.

> That's a solved problem. (Solved several decades ago too.) You don't
> need Mathematica, you just need a good textbook.

	You may want Mathematica to help set some of it up.

--
"Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time!"

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl