POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2009 04:17:14
Message: <4a30bd8a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Who the hell does theoretical physics "commercially"?
>
> Well, someone spent a whole s__tload of money building the LHC, and Cern
> has been around for decades. Someone is doing theoretical physics for
> money.

Yeah, about that... I forget how much it cost to build the LHC, but I do
wonder where the *hell* they got the money, considering that they're
just a bunch of scientists. Last time I checked, nobody pays money for
finding out how the universe works.

>> Engineering seems to involve CAD and material simulations far more
>> than any actual "mathematics" as such.
>
> Depends, really. If you're trying to come up with the best airplane
> wing, there's a lot of math involved.

Really? I assumed it was just a question of running different designs
through the simulator and seeing which ones have the best properties.

>> That's a solved problem. (Solved several decades ago too.) You don't
>> need Mathematica, you just need a good textbook.
>
> Someone has to figure out all the other stuff like that.

Are you seriously suggesting that there are problems that are unsolved?