POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jun 2009 12:06:59
Message: <4a312ba3$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I must admit, I've often wondered where the hell they got the money to
> build Hubble, given that once it's built it generates no income...

It's a tiny, tiny percentage of the cost of anything else. There's only one
Hubble, so it can get pretty expensive before you have to worry about it
becoming anywhere near "expensive" in government terms.

> I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.

I'm saying, how do you build a simulator and be sure the simulation is
correct enough?

> I'm aware that there are lots of problems in science and mathematics
> which are unsolved, but I was under the impression that things as
> mundane as figuring out what shape a wing needs to be are not amoung them.

Figuring out how far away the detectors in the LHC have to be from the
collision? Figuring out a good antenna shape for an 802.11x 397MBps wireless
router? Figuring out the right shape for the wing of an orbital ship that's
going to be coming back into the atmosphere at 35x the speed of sound?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western