POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... : Re: Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things that make you go hmm...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 11 Jun 2009 09:50:15
Message: <4a310b97$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Surely that's all just arithmetic though? Once you know the mathematical
> formulas involved, it's a simple case of plugging the numbers in and
> getting the answers out. It's not like you're trying to derive an
> approximation to the Gamma function or anything...

Yes, but you have to find the formulas first. Suppose you need to
account for a non-linearity in the system you're controlling to get
precise positioning. Say, for the sake of example there's no way to get
around the non-linearity. Also, for arguments sake, lets say the
designer doesn't have a fancy cad application available, so can't just
give you a formula.

> That's just because sometimes a pocket calculator is the fastest way to
> quickly test something. ;-)

Actually, because it's readily available in the field.

>>> Mathematica is a wonderful toy, but I can't think of a single serious
>>> "use" for it.
>>
>> Nonsense. It's a tool, just like a ruler, or a calculator.
>
> In other news... when's the last time anybody used a ruler in their day
> job?

I've used a tape measure on numerous occasions. I've also used a small
ruler clamped to a bar of a known length to find scaling factors for a
machine.

--
~Mike