POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Watchmen vs The Incredibles (Message 26 to 35 of 125)
From: somebody
Subject: Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
Date: 15 May 2009 22:31:33
Message: <4a0e2585@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> I tried updating the wikipedia entry on The Incredibles with the
> following update:
>
> A more direct inspiration is the comic book masterpiece Watchmen, by
> Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. In it, super-heroes are banned and living
> common life, a plot to secretly kill heroes is going on, there's a
> mysterious Island where a threatening menace is being created (not in
> the Watchmen movie though), the plan of the "villain" itself being to
> lie to people that they are under attack so that he can secretly realize
> his fantasy of being hero of the world. The main differences being that
> Watchmen's "villain" truly turns out to save the world by way of his
> machiavelic plan and that no hero is truly super: the only one with true
> superpower couldn't care less for mankind or living organisms. Even the
> "no cape" is from Watchmen, as one of the hooded crime busters of the
> past is shot to death as his cape gets entangled in a bank's revolving
> door. The Omnidroid closely resembles the organic life-form the
> Watchmen's "villain" has built, tentacles, monocular vision and size
> matching.

I know and care less than nothing about either the Incredibles or Watchmen,
but my 2 cents says the text above reads very much like an argument, not as
an encyclopedic entry. Maybe that's the contention. It's not an
encyclopedia's job to make a point (and no, some bad examples from Wikipedia
don't change this rule) but to document well established points. If you have
a reference, only a single sentence should suffice.

Post a reply to this message

> I know and care less than nothing about either the Incredibles or Watchmen,
> but my 2 cents says the text above reads very much like an argument, not as
> an encyclopedic entry. Maybe that's the contention. It's not an
> encyclopedia's job to make a point (and no, some bad examples from Wikipedia
> don't change this rule) but to document well established points. If you have
> a reference, only a single sentence should suffice.

may be.  I'll try to rework it then...

Post a reply to this message