POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: nemesis
Date: 16 May 2009 00:13:50
Message: <4a0e3d7e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> somebody wrote:
>>> If there's no hard evidence or prior research, your option is to publish
>>> your analysis somewhere respectable, and then add it to Wikipedia.
>>
>> So, those very distinct and unconventional plot points I listed offer
>> absolutely no evidence at all?
>
> THAT ISN'T THE POINT!
>
> They *are* evidence. Nobody is disagreeing with that. But it's ORIGINAL
> RESEARCH.  *You* calculated the probability that Watchmen serves as an
> inspiration to Bird.  It's not something Bird said.

Bird will not say that.  He'll say he's taken the idea from his own
family.  Like it is said in the wikipedia entry.  Yeah, right on the
mark:  banned heroes, heroes being hunted and eliminated, a villain
posing of hero by a fake attack with a gigantic monster... all pretty
familiar scenes.  The kind of thing one can expect from liars.

So, another guy above was telling that Star Wars, Matrix and others have
all pretty generic plots revolving around religious themes.  How can he
know that?  Did he see George Lucas ever telling it??

yes, that's sarcasm.  And that's by abstracting the whole plot down to
the very generic core.  One does not need to do that to see the
similarities in the plots of Watchmen and The Incredibles.

It's not needed that the author spells it out plainly so that one can
see parodies.  For instance, Wall-e parodies 2001 in the ship computer
resembling HAL.  Was it needed for Wall-e's author to spell it out?  No,
one only needs to known there was a movie 2001 and a computer called HAL
with a large recognizable eletronic eye.  Fact is:  you guys don't know
Watchmen -- nor care about reading the plot details -- and can't see how
frakking similar it is to the plot of The Incredibles.