POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Watchmen vs The Incredibles : Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Watchmen vs The Incredibles
From: nemesis
Date: 15 May 2009 23:57:55
Message: <4a0e39c3@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>>
>>> No, you're saying Incredible was *inspired* by Watchmen, not just
>>> similar.
>>>
>>> You would need to show that Brad Bird, for example, was aware of
>>> Watchmen and knew the plot when he was making the Incredibles, as a
>>> minimum.
>>
>> How could he not be aware of this classic?
>
> It doesn't matter. If you assert Bird was inspired, you would need to
> give a reference to it.

Yes, I gave a reference to it.  The plot of Watchmen.  Which seemingly
no one read from the wikipedia entry, neither you nor the wikipedia
moderators.

>> what I do know is:
>
> ... a whole list of things which have nothing to do with Bird or his
> thought processes.

But which has a lot to do with the result of his thought processes.

> Did you figure this link out yourself? Or did you read about it somewhere?

I heard about it before.  Then now I finally read the graphic novel and
it indeed is as it is.  Except gritty and mature rather than a, well,
comic parody.

> If the former, it's original research. If the latter, provide the
> citation. It seems pretty easy to me. :-)

There's no citation.  There's a plot which is similar in both works,
down to every relevant detail.

Forget it, perhaps because of my alias you guys just love to have an
argument with me whatever the reason.  If I came here and said:  "Hey,
just watched Watchmen and it is a bland copycat of Pixar's The
Incredibles" you'd all be picking up a fight on how the venerable and
influential graphic novel was here eons before Pixar was even known...